Where I live, the closest Whole Foods is four hours away. Which meant any chance of getting my hands on some Beyond Meat was a big commitment. I wrote the company numerous times about the possibility of being carried at our co-op in Ithaca (“The #5 Vegan Friendly City in the U.S.” ~ VegNews Magazine) and I tweeted at them numerous times and Facebook messaged them countless times and then … boom. A friend posted a photo on Facebook last week of Beyond Meat in the freezer section at Greenstar. I have to admit. I cried a little.
Did I have anything to do with Beyond Meat coming to Ithaca? Probably not but I am still taking credit for it.
The first time I tried Beyond Meat a friend of mine smuggled it over the border from New Jersey. He told me it looked and tasted exactly like chicken. He said that Mark Bittman was fooled. This was going to change the way vegans, vegetarians, and even omnivores thought about “fake” meat. One bite of the chicken-free grilled flavor and I knew he was right. This changes everything.
If you’ve never tasted Beyond Meat and you have an opportunity to try it. Try it. It’s very, very convincing. In fact, some vegans won’t eat it because it freaks them out. I’m not one of them. I am the Meaty Vegan. This stuff was made for me.
Now that it is available locally and I don’t have to buy it in some shady deal behind a dumpster in a dark alley, I am going to post many, many recipes for Beyond Meat (one of which will be a hot Buffalo “chicken” wing recipe that will satisfy any lover of wings and the other is a chicken-free vegan gluten-free penne ala vodka sauce that you’ll lick the bowl over). But, for know, let’s go the healthy route.
Here is my Vegan Beyond Meat Chicken-free Salad Wrap recipe. Enjoy!
- 1/2 package Beyond Meat Chicken-free Grilled Flavor
- 1/2 cup of Follow Your Heart Vegenaise
- 3 stalks organic celery, thinly chopped
- 1/2 red onion, finely chopped
- 6 organic basil leaves, finely chopped
- 1 medium organic carrot, julienned
- 3-4 Rudi’s gluten-free, vegan spinach wraps
Place all chopped ingredients into large bowl and mix thoroughly. Tear* (don’t cut!) your Beyond meat into 1/2 inch pieces and stir into mixture. Fold in Vegenaise until fully incorporated. Salt and pepper to taste. Warm the Rudi’s wraps in a non-stick hot frying pan until soft (45 seconds). Roll 1/2 cup of the mixture into a wrap, open mouth, insert wrap into mouth, chew and enjoy. This recipe will make 3-4 nicely stuffed wraps.
* Cutting Beyond Meat creates SUCH a clean, straight edge, it changes the perception of the meatiness, so I suggest always tearing it. Tearing it into pieces keeps the texture and taste consistent with “real” meat. There are other flavors available as well that each add a flavor flair to your favorite fare! Buy Beyond Meat and tell them the Meaty Vegan sent you!